Which is Better for SEO: Website Builders or WordPress?
Today, just about every web host offers website builders to create a website quickly and easily. In most cases, even if you don’t have any experience creating a website, it’s easy to have one up and running in just a few hours. But, is it really a good idea to use a website builder and template if you want to optimize the website for search engines? Or, should you create a website with WordPress to be able to optimize the website better?
Both web builders and WordPress make it possible to create a website, but WordPress is far more effective for SEO because of the control it offers. Though you might find it’s easier to create a website with a web builder, this isn’t the only thing you’re going to want to consider when designing a website. It’s necessary to make sure the website can attract as many potential customers as possible, and search engine optimization is going to be a huge part of drawing in more visitors.
The Importance of SEO
Search engine optimization, often abbreviated as SEO, is used to make sure the website can be crawled and ranked by the search engines. If a website isn’t optimized for the search engines, it will still show up in the search engine results. However, it will not show up on the first page, and may not show up for the first few pages. Since only a tiny percentage of people click past the first page of results, you won’t have many visitors to the website.
Websites that are properly optimized for the search engines are going to rank the highest. Use a variety of different techniques and make sure they’re as effective as possible. The more SEO techniques you can implement on the website, the higher its ranking will be and the more visitors it will have. Choosing a design method that allows you to use as many techniques as possible will help to fully optimize the website. SEO without good web design and development won’t help you much though, let’s keep that in mind.
Website Builders Versus WordPress Websites
Make SEO your focus when considering how to build a website. Start working on the optimization of the website as it is built to create a foundation for future SEO techniques. The two main choices for building a website are web builders and WordPress.
Web builders typically use drag and drop techniques to start from a blank screen or a template and create a website. They’re very easy to use, so it’s possible to create a basic website in just a few minutes. WordPress, on the other hand, is a tool that enables you to completely design a website. While it’s more complex, it’s nevertheless possible to build a highly functional website in just a few hours.
Technical SEO on On-Page Factors
Technical SEO uses on-page techniques to optimize a website. With website builders, it’s not possible to edit many of these factors, meaning SEO will be limited for the page. These are crucial when optimizing a website, so using WordPress to be able to alter and adjust all of them is a good idea.
- Page Titles – Many web builders will automatically create the page title. Instead, make sure to create custom page titles with H1 tags. Titles should be optimized using the main keyword the page is for. Keep the title short, but powerful to make sure it grabs the attention of your visitors.
- Meta Tags and Descriptions – For each page, you can add a meta description as well as meta tags. The description should describe what the page is about, using keywords when relevant. Meta tags should include all relevant keywords for the topic. Editing these is easier with a WordPress plugin.
- URL Structure – URLs should be search engine-friendly. Instead of using a randomly generated filename, create a custom file name that describes what the page is about. Include keywords where possible. URLs like this are easier for visitors to read, make it easier for visitors to navigate the website, and make it easier for the search engines to crawl the website and determine what it’s about.
- Images – Filenames for images, like for the pages, should not be randomly generated. They should include a description of the image that the search engines can read as well as a relevant keyword. Many web builders will not allow you to customize the name of your images and will force the name to be a random string of letters and numbers. WordPress doesn’t have this limitation.
- Page Loading Speed – Many people will leave the page and search for something else if it doesn’t load fast. While web builders do not let you adjust how fast the page can load, WordPress offers a number of different options, including moving your website to a faster host instead of using shared hosting.
Plugins to Help With SEO
Web builders need to be easy to use, so there usually isn’t any room for extras. WordPress, however, focuses on usability and customization. It allows you to use plugins to make creating, optimizing and updating your website easier. Some of the things you can do with plugins to help with SEO will include:
- Create a Sitemap – Sitemaps make it easier for search engines to crawl your website, and a plugin can help you automatically create and update the sitemap for your website.
- Monitor Links – Use a WordPress plugin to check for broken links in posts, pages, and comments so they can be removed or replaced.
- Analytics – See how well the SEO is working for your website by checking analytics for your website easily.
The higher a website ranks, the more people are going to see it. The higher ranking also makes it more likely that those who see the website on the search engines will click to visit it. Choosing the right way to build the website will directly impact how effective SEO techniques will be. Try WordPress to design your website and to easily implement many effective optimization techniques. Once you get started, you’ll see the difference it makes.